Korea has most advanced in Mobile WIMAX service country in the world with it's own 802.16e technology & running service.
Two WIMAX operator are doing Mobile WIMAX only service to major cities and mainly focus on Seoul city & it's suberb area. Current service is tech standard is Wave 1 and has plan to deploy Wave 2 on this year May & June with trial.
Most of Korea's mobile WIMAX service is Data for internet browsing by USB dongle for mobile PC users & University students.
K O R E A / M O B I L E / W I M A X / F A C T S > WIMAX Operators Korea telecom
- Subscribers : 100K ( end of 2007)
- Service area : Seoul city & it's suberb area , Subway, University SK Telecom* ( No.1 CDMA operator in Korea)
- Subscribers : Under 10K
- Service area : Seoul city & it's suberb area
(* more focus on their nation wide HSDPA data service) > Market Forecast - Service & Equipments YR 2008
- Service: 1.4 Trillion USD
- Equipments : 1.3 Trillion USD YR 2009
- Service: 2.5 Trillion USD
- Equipments : 1.1 Trillion USD YR 2010
- Service: 3.3 Trillion USD
- Equipments : 1.0 Trillion USD
( source. Korea MIC. R&D Biz. Edited 2007) Unique point of Korea WIMAX
- Only for 802.16e
- World first Mobile WiMAX : MAR 2006
- Called 802.16e as " WIBRO"
- Service Frequency : 2.3GHz